Direct and Indirect



                                    Exercise No.1

Direct:      She said, “I am doing my home task now”.
Indirect:   She said that she was doing her home task then.

Direct:      He said, “I am not a thief”.
Indirect:   He said that he was not a thief.

Direct:      She said, “I am working hard.”
Indirect:   She said that she was working hard.

Direct:      He said, “I have returned the books”.
Indirect:   He said that he had returned the books.

Direct:      She said, “The patient died in the hospital”.
Indirect:   She said that the patient had died in the hospital.

Direct:      He said, “She will go there.”
Indirect:   He said that she would go there.

Direct:      She said, “I do not agree with you”.
Indirect:   She said that she did not agree with him.

Direct:      He said to the stranger, “I do not recognize you”.
Indirect:   He told the stranger that he did not recognize him.

Direct:      The teacher said to Mueen, “I have taught you and your sister”.
Indirect:   The teacher said to Mueen that he had taught him and his sister.

Direct:      She said to me, “You are a lazy boy”.
Indirect:   She told me that I was a lazy boy.


                                    Exercise No.2

Direct:     She said, “I like clouds in the sky.”
Indirect:   She said that she liked clouds in the sky.

Direct:     He said, “I am unwell.”
Indirect:   He said that he was unwell.

Direct:     He said to her, “I live in this building.”
Indirect:   He told her that he lived in that building.

Direct:     They said, “Our teacher is on leave.”
Indirect:   They said that their teacher was on leave.

Direct:     Arif and Ayesha said to their mother, “We like mangoes.”
Indirect:   Arif and Ayesha told their mother that they liked mangoes.


Direct:     She said, “I am helping my mother in the kitchen.”
Indirect:   She said that she was helping her mother in the kitchen.

Direct:     He said, “I am watering the plants in the garden.”
Indirect:   He said that he was watering the plants in the garden.

Direct:     Afshan said, “I am sewing mother’s shirt.”
Indirect:   Afshan said that she was sewing mother’s shirt.

Direct:     He said, “They are not doing their duty well.”
Indirect:   He said that they were not doing their duty well.

Direct:     He said to me, “You are not running very fast.”
Indirect:   He told me that I was not running very fast.

Direct:     They said, “We have done our duty.”
Indirect:   They said that they had done their duty.

Direct:     The teacher said to us, “You have not completed your drawing.”
Indirect:   The teacher told us that we had not completed our drawing.

Direct:     She said, “They have not eaten their meals.”
Indirect:   She said that they had not eaten their meals.

Direct:     The teacher said, “I have often told you not to play with fire.”
Indirect:   The teacher said that he had often told me not to play with fire.

Direct:     My brother said to me, “You have missed the point completely.”
Indirect:   My brother told me that I had missed the point completely.

Direct:     He said, “I completed my drawing half an hour ago.”
Indirect:   He said that he had completed his drawing half an hour before.

Direct:     She said, “I did not go to school yesterday.”
Indirect:   She said that she had not gone to school the previous day.

Direct:     She said, “She sang a beautiful ghazal at the concert last night.”
Indirect:  She said that she had sung a beautiful ghazal at the concert the previous night.

Direct:     She said, “He rang me up at twelve midnight.”
Indirect:   She said that he had rung her up at twelve midnight.

Direct:     He said, “The boys did not put up a good show last night.”
Indirect:   She said that she would never do such a thing.

Direct:     She said, “I shall never do such a thing.”
Indirect:   She said that she would never do such a thing.

Direct:      Afshan said, “They will wait for us for one hour only.”
Indirect:    Afshan said that they would wait for them for one hour only.

Direct:      They said, “We shall never make a promise, we cannot fulfill.”
Indirect:   They said that they would never make a promise they could not fulfill.
Direct:       He said, “I shall explain this to you only if you listen to me with patience.”
Indirect:   He said that he would explain that to me only if I listened to him with patience.

Direct:      He said, “I hope you will not repeat this mistake.”

Indirect:   He said that he hoped I would not repeat that mistake.

                                    Exercise No.3

Direct:     He said, “Will you listen to me?”
Indirect:  He asked me whether I would listen to him.

Direct:     She said, “Are you going to Lahore today?”
Indirect:  She asked me whether I was going to Lahore that day.

Direct:     He said, “Do you agree with me?”
Indirect:  He asked me whether I agreed with him.

Direct:     He said to me, “What are you looking for?
Indirect:  He asked me what I was looking for?

Direct:      She said, “Where do you live?”
Indirect:   She enquired of them where they lived.

Direct:      He said, “How many chapters have you done already?”
Indirect:   He enquired of him how many chapters he had done by that time.

                                    Exercise No.4

Direct:      She said, “Is this your book?”
Indirect:   She asked me if that book was mine.

Direct:      He said, “Do you have any share in this firm?”
Indirect:   He asked if I had any share in that firm.

Direct:      They said, “Have you ever visited Murre Hills?”
Indirect:   They asked if I had ever visited Murree Hills.

Direct:      He said, “Arer’t you ashamed of yourself?”
Indirect:   He asked if I was not ashamed of myself.

Direct:      The teacher said, “Did you do your home task yesterday?”
Indirect:   The teacher asked if I had done my home task the previous day.


Direct:      The mother said, “Didn’t I ask you not to go there?”
Indirect:   The mother asked if she had not asked me not to go there.

Direct:      Rehana said, “Will you stop interfering in my work?”
Indirect:   Rehana asked me if I would stop interfering in her work.

Direct:      The mother said, “Shall we invite the Qureshis also?”
Indirect:   The mother asked if they would invite the Qureshis also.
Direct:      Adnan said, “Had you left Karachi before writing this letter?”
Indirect:   Adnan asked if I had left Karachi before writing that letter.

Direct:      The judge said, “Have you anything more to say?”
Indirect:   The judge asked if I had anything more to say.

Direct:      He said, “What do you want me to do?”
Indirect:   He asked what I wanted him to do.

Direct:      The mother said, “How did you fair in your examination?”
Indirect:   The mother asked me how I had failed in may examination.

Direct:      Raza said, “Where are you going?”
Indirect:   Raza asked me where I was going.

Direct:      The teacher said, “Whose is this book?”
Indirect:   The teacher asked who was the author of that book.

Direct:      The teacher said, “Who is the author of this book?”
Indirect:   The teacher asked whose that book was.

Direct:      The stranger said, “Which is the way to Shalimar Gardens?”
Indirect:   The stranger asked me which the way was to the Shalimar gardens.

Direct:      The manager said, “How do you propose to solve this problem?”
Indirect:   The manager asked me how I proposed to solve that problem.

Direct:      The boy said, “What do you want me to do?”
Indirect:   The boy asked what I wanted him to do.

Direct:      The pupil said, “Where have I eased?”
Indirect:   The pupil asked where he had eased.

Direct:      The teacher said, “Who is next on list?”
Indirect:   The teacher asked who was the next on the list.


                                    Exercise No.5

                        Direct:      The referee said, “Quiet, please”.
Indirect:   The referee requested the spectators to be quiet.

Direct:      The teacher said, “Do not make a noise”.
Indirect:   The teacher asked the students not to make a noise.

Direct:      She said to me, “Tell the truth”.
Indirect:   She advised me to tell the truth.

Direct:      She said to me, “Please lend me your camera for a day.”
Indirect:   She requested me to lend her my camera for a day.

Direct:      Roshana said, “Let us finish our work first.”
Indirect:   Roshana proposed that they should finish their work first.

                                    Exercise No.6

Direct:      He said to his sister, “Please say something.”
Indirect:   He requested his sister to say something.

Direct:      She said to her friend, “Please have dinner with me tomorrow at eight.”
Indirect:   She requested her friend to have dinner with her the next day at eight.

Direct:      The judge said, “Call the next witness.”
Indirect:   The judge ordered to call the next witness.

Direct:      Farhan said to his uncle, “Please help me in getting some job.”
Indirect:   Farhan requested his uncle to help him in getting some job.

Direct:      The doctor said to the patient, “Take complete rest and follow my direction.”
Indirect:   The doctor advised the patient to take complete rest and follow his direction.

Direct:       The teacher said to the pupil, “Read the paragraph and explain it in simple English.”
Indirect:   The teacher ordered the pupil to read the paragraph and explain that in simple English.

Direct:      The mother said to her daughter, “Please tidy up you room.”
Indirect:   The mother advised her daughter to tidy up her room.

Direct:      She said to me, “Do not waste your time in idle talk.”
Indirect:   She advised me not to waste my time in idle talk.

Direct:      The father said to his son, “Get up early in the morning and go for a walk.”
Indirect:   The father advised his son to get up early in the morning and go far a walk.

Direct:      Afshan said, “Let us go for a picnic on Friday.”
Indirect:   Afshan suggested that they should go for a picnic on Friday.

Direct:      He said to his friend, “Please lend me your bike for a day.”
Indirect:   He requested his friend to lend him his bike for a day.

Direct:      He said to her, “Please fetch me a glass of water.”
Indirect:   He requested her to fetch him a glass of water.

Direct:      The master said to the servant, “Go and fetch me a glass of milk.”
Indirect:   The master ordered the servant to go and fetch him a glass of milk.

Direct:      The father said to his son, “Do not leave this room without my permission.”
Indirect:   The father ordered his son not to leave that room without his permission.

Direct:      She said to them, “Let us not deceive ourselves.”
Indirect:   She suggested that they should not deceive themselves.


                                    Exercise No.7

Direct:      He said, “HurrahỊ We have won the match.”
Indirect:   He exclaimed with joy that they had won the match.

Direct:      He said, “AlasỊ I am ruined.”
Indirect:   He exclaimed with sorrow that he had been ruined.

Direct:      He said, “May God help me do my duty.”
Indirect:   He prayed that God might help him do his duty.


                                    Exercise No.8

Direct:      She said to her father, “May you live longỊ”
Indirect:   She prayed that her father might live long.

Direct:      She said, “May you prosperỊ”
Indirect:   She prayed that I might prosper.

Direct:      The mother said to her daughter, “May God bless you with a sonỊ”
Indirect:   The mother prayed for her daughter that God might bless her with a son.

Direct:      She said, “Would that my father were aliveỊ”
Indirect:   She wished that her father had been alive.

Direct:      The mother said to her son, “May you return successfulỊ”
Indirect:   The mother prayed for her son that he might return successful.

Direct:      She said, “What a beautiful piece of artỊ”
Indirect:   She exclaimed with wonder that a piece of art was very beautiful.

Direct:      He said, “How well she singsỊ”
Indirect:   He exclaimed with wonder that she sang very well.

Direct:      He said, “AlasỊ We cannot defeat our enemiesỊ”
Indirect:   He exclaimed with sorrow that they could not defeat their enemies.

Direct:      She said, “What a pity you missed that functionỊ”
Indirect:   She exclaimed with wonder that I missed that function.

Direct:      He said, “HurrahỊ I have won the medalỊ”
Indirect:   He exclaimed with joy that he had won the medal.


                                    Exercise No.9

Direct:      She says, “I hope I am not late.”
Indirect:   She says that she hopes she is not late.

Direct:      He says, “I want to speak to you.”
Indirect:   He says that he wants to speak to him.

Direct:      You have said, “They are waiting outside.”
Indirect:   You have said that they are waiting outside.

Direct:      You will say, “She is cranky.”
Indirect:   You will say that she is cranky.


                                    Exercise No.10

Direct:      They say, “We have done our duty.”
Indirect:   They say that they have done their duty.

Direct:      She says, “We have shifted to another house.”
Indirect:   She says that they have shifted to another house.

Direct:      The teacher will say, “You have done your work very well.”
Indirect:   The teacher will say that I have done my work very well.

Direct:      He says, “She has written me a very encouraging letter.”
Indirect:   He says that she has written him a very encouraging letter.

Direct:      She says, “We love and respect our neighbours very much.”
Indirect:   She says they love and respect their neighbours very much.

Direct:      She has said, “She is ready to accompany us to Karachi.”
Indirect:   She said that she was ready to accompany them to Karachi.

Direct:      He says, “I have not heard the latest news about her.”
Indirect:   He says that he has not heard the latest news about her.

Direct:      The doctor says, “The patient is still in a state of coma.”
Indirect:   The doctor says that the patient is still in a state of coma.

Direct:      The teacher says, “She has always been a good student.”
Indirect:   The teacher says that she has always been a good student.

Direct:      She will say, “He did not come up to my expectations.”
Indirect:   She will say that he did not come up to her expectations.

Direct:      He said to her, “I live in this building.”                        
Indirect:   He told to her that he lived in that building.              

Direct:      She said, “I do not agree with you.”                            
Indirect:   She said that she did not agree with him.

Direct:      She said, “Where do you live?”                                               
Indirect:   He enquired of them where they lived.

Direct:      He said to me, “Do not sit in idle talk.”                        
Indirect:   He forbade me to sit in idle talk.

Direct:      She said, “AlasỊ I am ruined.”                          
Indirect:   She exclaimed with sorrow that she had been ruined.

Direct:      She said, “Would that my father were alive!”            
Indirect:   She wished that her father had been alive.

Direct:      She will say, “He did not come up to my expectations.”                             
Indirect:   She will say that he did not come up to her expectations.




Exercise No.11

Direct:      They say, “Our teacher is on leave today.”    
Indirect:   They say that their teacher was on leave that day.

Direct:      He said, “I shall not repeat this mistake.”       
Indirect:   He said that he would not repeat that mistake.

Direct:      He said, “Will you listen to me?”                                             
Indirect:   He asked me whether I would listen to him.

Direct:      The teacher said, “Do not make a noise.”                 
Indirect:   The teacher asked the students not to make a noise.

Direct:      She said to them, “Let us not deceive ourselves.”
Indirect:   She suggested that they should not deceive themselves.

Direct:      They said, “We have done our duty.”                         
Indirect:   They say that they have done their duty.

Direct:      She said to her daughter, “May God bless you with a son.”
Indirect:   She prayed for her daughter that God might bless her with a son.

Direct:      She said to me, “I am helping my mother in the kitchen.”
Indirect:   She said that she was helping her mother in the kitchen.

Direct:      She said, “I am doing my home task now.”   
Indirect:   She said that she was doing her home task then.

Direct:      She said, “I shall never do such a thing.”      
Indirect:   She said that she would never do such a thing.

Direct:      Rehana said, “Will you stop interfering in my work?”
Indirect:   Rehana asked me if I would stop        interfering in her work.

Direct:      The teacher said, “Whose is this book?”                               
Indirect:   The teacher asked whose that book was.

Direct:      He said to his sister, “Please say something.”                      
Indirect:   He requested his sister to say something.

Direct:      He said to his father, “May you live long!”     
Indirect:   He prayed for his father that that he might live long.

Direct:      They say, “We have done our duty.”                          
Indirect:   They say that they have done their duty.

Direct:      The teacher says, “She has always been a good student.”                       
Indirect:   The teacher says that she has always been a good student.









            Change any FIVE of the following sentences into indirect form:      

Direct Speech
Indirect Speech
                             

He says, “I have not heard the latest news                     He says that he has not heard the
about her.”                                                                             latest news about her.


He said, “Hurrah! I have won the medal.”                       He exclaimed with joy that he had won the medal.




She said, “May you prosper.”                                             She prayed that I might prosper.


He said to her, “Please fetch me a glass                         He requested her to fetch him a
of water.”                                                                                glass of water.


The teacher said, “Who is next on list?”                          The teacher asked who was the next on
the list.


She said, “Where do you live?”                                         She enquired of them where they lived.


He said to the stranger, “I do not recognize                    He told the stranger that he did not
you.”                                                                                       recognize him.


She said, “I am doing my home task now.”                     She said that she was doing her home task then.                       


                                                           


He said, “She will go there.”                                               He said that she would go there.


He said to the stranger, “I do not recognize                    He told the stranger that he did not
you.”                                                                                       recognize him.


He said to me, “Did you do your home                            The teacher asked if I had done my
task yesterday?”                                                                   home task previous day.


The Judge said, “Call the next witness.”                         The Judge ordered to call the next witness.


Raza said to me, “Where are you going?”                       Raza asked me where I was going.


He said, “Hurra! We have won the match.”                     He exclaimed with joy that they had won the match.

They say, “We have done our duty.”                                They say that they have done their duty.


Afshan said, “Let us go for a picnic on Friday.”              Afshan suggested that they should go for a picnic on Friday.


Direct Speech
Indirect Speech
                                                                            



She said, “I shall never do such a thing.”                        She said that she would never do
such a thing.


She said, “I did not go to school yesterday.”                   She said that she had not gone to school the previous day.


He said, “Are you going to Lahore today?”                      She asked me whether I was going to Lahore that day.


The teacher said, “Whose is this book?”                         The teacher asked whose that book was.


She said to me, “Tell the truth.”                                         She advised me to tell the truth.


Afshan said, “Let us go for a picnic on Friday.”              Afshan suggested that they should go for a picnic on Friday.


He said, “Hurrah! I have won the medal.”                       He exclaimed with joy that he had won the medal.


She said, “May you succeed.”                                           He prayed for me that I might succeed.



She said, “I like clouds in the sky.”                                   She said that she liked clouds in the sky.


They say, “We have done our duty.”                                They say that they have done their duty.


The teacher said, “Who is next on list?”                          The teacher asked who was the next on
the list.


The teacher said to me, “Did you do your                       The teacher asked if I had done my home
home task yesterday?”                                                        task the previous day.


The Judge said, “Call the next witness.”                         The Judge ordered to call the next witness.


He said, “Hurra! We have won the match.”                     He exclaimed with joy that they had won
                                                                                                the match.



Direct Speech
Indirect Speech
                   


He said to his father, “May you live long!”                       He prayed for his father that he might live long.


She said, “What a beautiful piece of art?”                       She exclaimed with wonder that a piece of art was very beautiful.          


He said to the stranger, “I do not recognize                    He told the stranger that he did not
you.”                                                                                       recognize him.


She said, “He rang me up at twelve midnight.”              She said that he had rung her up at twelve midnight.


The judge said, “Have you anything more to say?”       The judge asked if I had anything more to say.


She said to me, “Do not waste your time                         She advised me not to sit in idle talk.
in idle talk.”


The teacher said, “Who is the author                               The teacher asked who was the author of
of this book?”                                                                        that book.


He said, “Hurra! We have won the match.”                     He exclaimed with joy that they had won the match.


She said to her father, “May you live long!”                    She prayed for her father that he might live long.


He says, “She has written me an encouraging              He says that she has written him a very
letter.”                                                                                     encouraging letter.



You will say, “She is cranky.”                                            You will say that she is cranky.


She said, “May you prosper.”                                             She prayed that I might prosper.




Direct Speech
Indirect Speech
                   

The Judge said, “Call the next witness.”                         The Judge ordered to call the
next witness.


She said, “Is this your book?”                                            She asked me if that book was mine.


Afshan said, “I am sewing mother’s shirt.”                      Afshan said that she was sewing her mother’s shirt.


She said, “The patient died in the hospital.”                   She said that the patient had died in the hospital.


She said, “What a beautiful piece of art?”                       She exclaimed with wonder that a piece of art was very beautiful.          


Roshana said, “Let us finish our work first.”                   Roshana proposed that they should finish their work first.


She said, “I like clouds in the sky.”                                   She said that she liked clouds in the sky.


She said, “I did not go to school yesterday.”                   She said that she had not gone to school the previous day.


The stranger said, “Which is the way to                           The stranger asked me which the way to
Shalimar Gardens.”                                                             Shalimar Gardens.


He said, “Hurra! We have won the match.”                     He exclaimed with joy that they had won the match.


She said to me, “Do not waste your time in idle                         She advised me not to waste my time in talk.”                                                                                        idle talk.


She said to her father, “May you live long!”                    She prayed for her father that he might live long.


He said, “Alas! We cannot defeat our enemies.”           He exclaimed with sorrow that they could
not defeat their enemies.

You will say, “She is cranky.”                                            You will say that she is cranky.



Direct Speech
Indirect Speech
                   

She said, “I am working hard.”                                          She said that she was working hard.


He said to me, “Will you listen to me?”                            He asked me whether I would listen to him.


The teacher said, “Do not make a noise.”                       The teacher asked the students not to
                                                                                                make a noise.


The Judge said, “Call the next witness.”                         The Judge ordered to call the next witness.


He said to her father, “May you live long!”                       He prayed that his father might live long.


The mother said, “Do you agree with me?”                     The mother asked me whether I agreed with her.


She said to me, “Tell the truth.”                                         She advised me to tell the truth.


The Judge said, “Call the next witness.”                         The Judge ordered to call the next witness.


Hafeez said, “Honesty is the best policy.”                       Hafeez said that honesty is the best policy.


She said, “Where do you live?”                                         She enquired of them where they lived.

                                                            --------- ---------------------------



She said to her friends, “Please have dinner                 She requested her friends to have dinner
with me tomorrow at eight.”                                                with her the next day at eight.


Farhan said to his uncle, “Please help me in                Farhan requested his uncle to help him in
getting some job.”                                                                getting some job.


Anwar says, “I am working hard.”                                     She said that she was working hard.


The teacher said, “Man is mortal.”                                                The teacher said that man is mortal.       






Change the following sentences into indirect form:    

1)            He said to her, “I live in this building.”                                                     
2)            She said, “I do not agree with you.”                                 
3)            She said, “Where do you live?”
4)            He said to me, “Do not sit in idle talk.”
5)            He said, “Alas! I am ruined now.”
6)            She said, “Would that my father was alive!”
7)            She will say, “He did not come to my expectations.”
8)            The master said to the servant, “Go and fetch me a glass of milk.”

                                                                
1)            They say, “Our teacher is on leave today.”
2)            He said, “I shall not repeat this mistake.”
3)            He said, “Will you listen to me?”
4)            The teacher said, “Do not make a noise.”
5)            She said to them, “Let us not deceive ourselves.”
6)            They said, “We have done our duty.”
7)            She said to her daughter, “May God bless you with a son.”
8)            She said to me, “I am helping my mother in the kitchen.”

                                                                 
1)            She said, “I am doing my home task now.”
2)            She said, “I shall never do such a thing.”
3)            Rehana said, “Will you stop interfering in my work?”
4)            The teacher said, “Whose is this book?”
5)            He said to his sister, “Please say something.”
6)            He said to his father, “May you live long!”
7)            They say, “We have done our duty.”
8)            The teacher says, “She has always been a good student.”

                                                                
1)            He says, “I have not heard the latest news about her.”
2)            He said, “Hurrah! I have won the medal.”
3)            She said, “May you prosper.”
4)            He said to her, “Please fetch me a glass of water.”
5)            The teacher said, “Who is next on list?”
6)            She said, “Where do you live?”
7)            He said to the stranger, “I do not recognize you.”
8)            She said, “I am doing my home task now.”

                                                                
1)            He said, “She will go there.”
2)            He said to the stranger, “I do not recognize you.”
3)            He said to me, “Did you do your home task yesterday?”
4)            The Judge said, “Call the next witness.”
5)            Raza said to me, “Where are you going?”
6)            He said, “Hurra! We have won the match.”
7)            They say, “We have done our duty.”
8)            Afshan said, “Let us go for a picnic on Friday.”
                                      
                          
1)            She said, “I shall never do such a thing.”
2)            She said, “I did not go to school yesterday.”
3)            He said, “Are you going to Lahore today?”
4)            The teacher said, “Whose is this book?”
5)            She said to me, “Tell the truth.”
6)            Afshan said, “Let us go for a picnic on Friday.”
7)            He said, “Hurrah! I have won the medal.”
8)            She said, “May you succeed.”

                                                                
·         She said, “I like clouds in the sky.”
·         They say, “We have done our duty.”
·         The teacher said, “Who is next on list?”
·         The teacher said to me, “Did you do your home task yesterday?”
·         The Judge said, “Call the next witness.”
·         He said, “Hurra! We have won the match.”
·         He said to his father, “May you live long!”
·         She said, “What a beautiful piece of art it is!”

1)            He said to the stranger, “I do not recognize you.”
2)            She said, “He rang me up at twelve midnight.”
3)            The judge said, “Have you anything more to say?”
4)            She said to me, “Do not waste your time in idle talk.”
5)            The teacher said, “Who is the author of this book?”
6)            He said, “Hurra! We have won the match.”
7)            She said to her father, “May you live long!”
8)            He says, “She has written me an encouraging letter.”

1)            You will say, “Se is cranky.”
2)            She said, “May you prosper.”
3)            The Judge said, “Call the next witness.”
4)            She said, “Is this your book?”
5)            Afshan said, “I am sewing mother’s shirt.”
6)            She said, “The patient died in the hospital.”
7)            She said, “What a beautiful piece of art ?”
8)            Roshana said, “Let us finish our work first.”

                                
1)            She said, “I like clouds in the sky.”
2)            She said, “I did not go to school yesterday.”
3)            The stranger said, “Which is the way to Shalimar Gardens.”
4)            He said, “Hurra! We have won the match.”
5)            She said to me, “Do not waste your time in idle talk.”
6)            She said to her father, “May you live long!”
7)            He said, “Alas! We cannot defeat our enemies.”
8)            You will say, “Se is cranky.”

                                
1)            She said, “I am working hard.”  (2)  He said to me, “Will you listen to me?”
3)         The teacher said, “Do not make a noise.”
4)            The Judge said, “Call the next witness.”
5)            He said to her father, “May you live long!”
                                
                                 
1)            The mother said, “Do you agree with me?”
2)            She said to me, “Tell the truth.”
3)            The Judge said, “Call the next witness.”
4)            Hafeez said, “Honesty is the best policy.”
5)            She said, “Where do you live?”
1)         The teacher said, “Do not make a noise?”
2)          She said to me, “Tell the truth.”
3)          She said, “Where do you live?”
4)          You will say, “She is cranky.”
5)          The doctor says, “The patient is still in a state of coma.”
6)          She will say, “He did not come up to my expectations.”
7)          He said, “What do you want me to do?”
8)          The boy said, “What do you want me to do?”
9)          He said to her, “Please fetch me a glass of water.”
10)       Afshan said, “Let us go for a picnic.”
11)       He said, “Let us go for a walk.”
12)       The teacher will say, “You have done your work very well.”
13)       She said to me, “Do not waste your time in idle talk.”
14)       The teacher said, “Who is the author of that book.”
16)      The father said to him son, “Get up early in the morning and go for a walk.”
19)       She said that she liked clouds in the sky. 
20)       He exclaimed with joy that they had won the match.
21)       He exclaimed with sorrow that they could not defeat their enemies. 
22)       She advised me not to waste my time in idle talk.               
23)       The stranger asked me which the way was to the Shalimar Gardens.                      
24)       She said that she had not gone to school the previous day. 
25)       She asked me if that book was mine.             
26)       The Judge ordered to call the next witness. 
27)       She prayed that I might prosper. 
28)       Afshan said that she was sewing mother’s shirt.
29)       She exclaimed with wonder that a piece of art was very beautiful.
30)       She wished that her father had been alive. 
31)       He told her that he lived in that building. 
32)       Hafeez said that honesty is the best policy. 
33)       He requested his sister to say something.
34)       She requested her friends to have dinner with her the next day at eight.         
35)       Farhan requested his uncle to help him in getting some job.
36)       The master ordered the servant to go and fetch him a glass of milk.
37)      The teacher said that man is mortal.
38)       She said that the patient had died in the hospital.
39)       Anwar says that he was working very hard.
40)       She said that she was working hard.
41)       He prayed that his father might live long.
42)       He asked me whether I would listen to him.
43)  

                              Indirect Speech

44)       He asked me whether I would listen to him. 
45)       He asked me whether I agreed with him.
46)       The mother asked me whether I agreed with her.
47)       The teacher asked the students not to make a noise.
48)       She advised me to tell the truth.
49)       She enquired of them where they lived.
50)       You will say that she is cranky.
51)       The doctor says that the patient is still in a state of coma.
52)       She will say that he did not come up to her expectations.
53)       He asked what I wanted him to do.
54)       The boy asked what I wanted him to do.
55)       He requested her to fetch him a glass of water.
56)       Afshan proposed that they should go for a picnic.
57)       He proposed that they should go for a walk.
58)       The teacher will say that I have done my work very well.
59)       She advised me not to waste my time in idle talk.
60)       The teacher asked who was the author of that book.
61)       He exclaimed with sorrow that he had been ruined.
62)       He requested his friend to lend him his bike for a day.
63)  
64)       The mother said to her daughter, “May God bless you with a son.”
65)       He says, “I have not heard the latest news about her.”
66)       He said, “May God help me do my duty.”
67)       He said, “God helps those who help themselves.”
68)       She says, “We have shifted to another house.”
69)       She said to me, “Please lend me your camera.”
70)       Afshan said, “Let us go for a walk in the morning.”
71)       They say that they have done their duty.
72)       He asked if I had any share in that firm.
73)       She said that she would never do such a thing.
74)       She exclaimed with sorrow that she had been ruined.
75)       Roshana proposed that we should finish our work first.
76)       The teacher told Mueen that he had taught him and his sister.
77)       She told me that I was a lazy boy.

                              Indirect Speech
79)  
80)       The father advised him son to get up early in the morning and go for a walk.
81)  
82)       The mother prayed for her daughter that God might bless her with a son.
83)       He says that he has not heard the latest news about her.
84)       He prayed that God might help him do his duty.
85)       He said that God helps those who help themselves.
86)       She says that they have shifted to another house.
87)       She requested me to lend his camera.
88)       Afshan suggested that they should go for a walk in the morning.
89)       She says that they love and respect their neighbours very much.
90)       He said to me that he was ill that day.
91)       They asked if I had ever visited Murree Hills.
92)       She asked me whether I was going to Lahore that day.
93)       He exclaimed with joy that he had won the medal.
94)                                           -------------------------
95)       He said that he was unwell.
96)       He told her that he lived in that building.
97)       They said that their teacher was on leave.
98)       He said that they were not doing their duty well.
99)       He told me that I was not running very fast.
100)      He prayed for me that I might succeed.
101)      He exclaimed with joy that he had won the first prize.
102)      He exclaimed with joy that he had got the scholarship.
103)      She exclaimed with sorrow that her father had died.
104)      He exclaimed that the mountain was very high.
105)      She exclaimed that it was a very love place.
106)      She says that she helps the poor.

 
Top